Makes 2 (or 1 large serving)
For the smoothie:
- 1 medium-size ripe pear, seeds removed
- 1/2 ripe avocado, stone removed
- 1/2 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup frozen spinach
- 2 to 4 soft dates, pitted
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon spirulina powder (or chlorella, wheatgrass, or barley grass)
- 1 cup coconut water
- juice of 1/2 lime
For the topping:
- pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- toasted raw buckwheat*
- desiccated coconut
- hemp seeds or bee pollen
- green kiwi fruit, finely chopped
- passion fruit pulp, mashed
- edible flowers, optional
- Roughly chop the pear and add it to a blender along with the flesh of the avocado and the rest of the smoothie ingredients. Blend on a high speed until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness and spiciness to your liking by adding more dates or ginger if necessary, as well as more spirulina if you prefer. Pour into two small bowls or a large one. Finish with a sprinkling of the nuts, buckwheat, coconut, seeds, fruit, and flowers. Serve.
*Toast raw (greenish) buckwheat in a dry skillet on a medium heat for approximately 5 minutes or until golden. If you have a sweet tooth, try adding a drizzle of pure maple syrup to the pan. You can also purchase sprouted and dehydrated crunchy buckwheat in health food stores.